Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Happy Anniversary!

This very day, last month; I got married.
Yipeeeeeee! Today is our one month anniversary. And what better a gift for my beloved than to write about our marriage.
And, All I need to say right now is that it was the best day of my life. But I guess I shall write more for I remember everything so vividly.
We were blessed to have our wedding vows presided over by the Rev. Thomas Samuel, the Bishop of Central Kerala Diocese.

The vows:-

We faced each other.(Well actally, Ninu was looking at the floor and I was stealing intermittent glances.)



The minister placed Ninu's right hand in mine. And then we took our wedding vows.

I, Roshan George Abraham, take you, Ninu Mariam Johnson,
to be my wife,
to have and to hold
from this day forward;
for better, for worse,
for richer, for poorer,
in sickness and in health,
to love and to cherish,
till death us do part;
according to God's holy law.
In the presence of God I make this vow.

After this the minister loosed our hands and placed my right hand on hers.
And then she repeated after the minister.

I, Ninu Mariam Johnson, take you,Roshan George Abraham,
to be my husband,
to have and to hold
from this day forward;
for better, for worse,
for richer, for poorer,
in sickness and in health,
to love and to cherish,
till death us do part;
according to God's holy law.
In the presence of God I make this vow.

The minister received the wedding rings, the Mantrakodi and the Minnu, and prayed.

Heavenly Father, by your blessing
let these rings be to Roshan and Ninu
a symbol of unending love and faithfulness,
to remind them of the vow and covenant
which they have made this day
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.


Then, I placed the ring on the fourth finger of the Ninu's left hand and, holding it there, said

Ninu, I give you this ring
as a sign of our marriage.
With my body I honour you,
all that I am I give to you,
and all that I have I share with you,
within the love of God,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit.


Now it was Ninu's turn to repeat the favour ;-)



She placed a ring on the fourth finger of the my right hand and, holding it there, said

Roshan, I give you this ring
as a sign of our marriage.
With my body I honour you,
all that I am I give to you,
and all that I have I share with you,
within the love of God,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit.


Then I had to tie the Minnu (refer Note) around Ninu's neck symbolizing my commitment towards her. It had to be tied using a special knot (Reef knot) only. I had practiced tying this knot more than 50 times, yet my fingers were moving painstakingly slow.



(Numerous stories about grooms forgetting the technique to knot and being made to do it over and over, in front of the whole congregation, till the knot was successfully tied, were passing through my mind)
Slow it was, but the result was absolutely brilliant!

The minister then placed the Mantrakodi on Ninu's head and then we prayed.



After the prayers, the minister addressed the people

In the presence of God,
and before this congregation,
Roshan and Ninu have given their consent
and made their marriage vows to each other.
They have declared their marriage by the joining of hands
and by the giving and receiving of rings.
I therefore proclaim that they are husband and wife.


The minister then joined our right hands together and said

Those whom God has joined together let no one put asunder.

And we were married! :-)



Lord, I entrust our marriage unto your caring hands. And I believe that you will take care of all our needs and aspirations, our career, our life, our ALL!
Praise Jesus!


Before winding up, Ninu, I have something to say to you :

Other men said they have seen angels,
But I have seen thee
And thou art enough.


Note~ The Minnu is a gold pendant in the shape of a rain drop with a figure of a cross upon it. For Christians in India, it is the tying of the Minnu around the neck of the bride by the groom which symbolizes the commitment of the couple as they enter marriage. Seven strands of thread taken from the Mantrakodi (see below) hold the Minnu around the bride's neck.

The Mantrakodi, also knows as the wedding sari, is the first gift to the bride from the grooms family, as well as to signify that she is now part of his family. The bride is covered with the Mantrakodi to symbolize that the groom and his family will always protect her.

5 comments:

Sayesha said...

Congratulations!! Whoa, big developments in life!! :D
ps: GOLD! :)

Cyberkitty said...

Congrats and wishing you both a happy married life !!

Priyankari said...

Wish you a Happy married life!!

Sherry said...

Congratulations ! :) Wish you a life as good as you both always wanted it to be. :)

Rosh said...

@sayesha, cyberkitty, priyankari, sanyukta: Thanks